Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Been There, Hope To Go Elsewhere

Recently on Facebook, I saw a note entitled “Where you have been” posted by someone on my friends list. In that list of both states and countries, a letter ‘X’ marked the 11 states which she had traveled to so far.

This reminded me of the travels I have had up to this point in my life, which included eight of the lower 48 states. That actually counts traveling within my home state of Pennsylvania; the other seven states I’ve been to are New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. However, I hope to visit many more states in the future…all of them if possible.


Left: A class trip on the Staten Island Ferry, 1993.


Right: Morey's Pier at Wildwood, NJ in 2003.



Left: A trip to Baltimore Inner Harbor, 2001.


Right: One of many decorated horse statues lining Hwy 12 in the Outer Banks, this one

representing the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, June 2004.


I haven’t been to another country yet, and there are so many I hope to visit in my life. Most of the countries that I would love to visit are in Europe, and six of those are where my ancestry originates…Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, France and Germany. Other European countries of interest to me include Italy, Greece, Romania, Spain and Portugal. Going to other countries such as Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, Mexico and Canada would also be on my travel list.


The note shared by my Facebook friend made me think that I should at least visit Canada sometime for starters with international travel. Although a visit to Canada isn’t possible at the moment, I decided to map out a trip that included some New England states as well as the nearest cities of Canada using Google Maps. It was just for fun really, but what I mapped out would make a great trip.


The route I mapped out followed the northeast coast up through Maine before finally crossing the border into Canada at Edmundston. Maybe from there, I could go on a scenic excursion to Halifax, Nova Scotia before heading back northwest. The cities of Quebec, Montreal and Toronto would be the next quick stops and then I’d re-enter the United States at Niagara Falls. To get home from there, I would head from Buffalo to Ithaca and southward into Pennsylvania again.


Such a trip would allow me to add a letter ‘X’ to five more states along with one country to my own list of where I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment